Re: [sumo-user] bus/rail stops

Hello,
In your case, I recommend loading the file with the train stops and the train flow directly into SUMO using the option --additional-files.
Generally, train routes are determined by the sequence of stops being serviced and do not required additional randomization based on turning directions.
For the rationale of what structures are loaded in which file, see https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/SUMO.html#loading_order_of_input_files
I think a basic understanding what XML is (a way to structure data) helps when defining SUMO inputs. However, you should be able to figure out most things from the documentation.
With version 1.4 of NETEDIT it is very easy to get stops and vehicles into a sumocfg as explained here: https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Tutorials/Hello_World.html

regards,
Jakob