[sumo-user] Unpredictable behavior with collisions

Hello all,

I'm working to build a simulation with SUMO and Traci that attempts to model vehicle accidents and responses. I'd like to achieve the following:

- Spawn random traffic and have vehicles periodically collide
- When a collision is detected, have the collided vehicles stop moving while emergency vehicles respond
- Shut down the lane to non-emergency traffic, so other cars route around the accident
- Spawn emergency vehicles that route to the collision
- After a period of time, the vehicles move on, emergency vehicles return to their source while the collided vehicles continue on their route (or teleport/disappear if necessary)

I've reviewed SUMO and Traci docs (specifically https://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Safety and https://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/FAQ#How_to_simulate_an_accident) and have taken the following actions, but am seeing unpredictable results:

  • So far I’ve set the vehicle TAU (0.01) to less than the action step length (0.05) which leads to the collisions.
  • On startup I’m specifying a stop time and action after a collision using --collision.stoptime 300 --collision.action remove
  • After a collision does occur there are mixed results, occasionally one vehicle will stop and other times neither vehicle will stop and will continue with their routes as if the collision didn’t occur
  • Sometimes the collision will be repeated constantly
    • Warning: Vehicle 'traffic_99'; collision with vehicle 'traffic_72', lane='547319270#1_1', gap=-2.10, time=90.75 stage=move.
    • Warning: Vehicle 'traffic_99'; collision with vehicle 'traffic_72', lane='547319270#1_1', gap=-2.07, time=90.80 stage=move.
    • Warning: Vehicle 'traffic_99'; collision with vehicle 'traffic_72', lane='547319270#1_1', gap=-2.03, time=90.85 stage=move.
    • And this  goes on until time=91.60
  • Also one vehicle may just disappear after a collision
  • Vehicles may also set a stop where they are on their route, stop, but never actually reach the stop so the stop time never decreases and the vehicle stays where it’s at
  • I also see numerous errors, often times due to collisions occurring immediately when vehicles spawn

I'm wondering whether what I'm trying to accomplish isn't feasible, if I'm not configuring SUMO correctly, or if SUMO is not responding correctly.

For reference, I'm currently running SUMO 1.0.1, but plan to move to 1.2 soon and hope collisions work better there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Linwood

Back to the top