Re: [sumo-user] Importing intersections from OpenStreetMap

Hello,
the indicated intersection is best handled by joining. In version 0.32.0 and earlier, the joining algorithm fails at this intersection due to the presence of extra bicycle lanes and footpaths.
If you upgrade to the latest development version, this intersection will be imported as a single junction when using --junctions.join.
(http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Downloads#SUMO_-_Latest_Development_Version)

regards,
Jakob

Hello!

My project makes extensive use of OpenStreetMap as a source for SUMO networks. For the most part it is working great, but the one area I'm struggling with is when 2 divided roads meet at a stoplight-controlled intersection. This results in way too many stoplights at the intersection, which causes vehicles to get stuck and back-up.

I've attached 2 images that reflect my issue. One is a common intersection from OpenStreetMap, where it's author has put a stop-light at each place where a lane crosses another. Although it may look like 4 different roads converging, it's really just 2 roads with a median in the middle. I've looked across various locations in the US and this is a common way for map authors to indicate this.

The other image is the resulting SUMO representation, where there are clearly too many stoplights being represented. Where I would expect there to be just 4 stop lights there are at least 12, maybe more. Similar issues occur when a divided road meets a non-divided road, it still creates extra stoplights (just not as many as the previous case). The only case I've seen that works perfectly is when 2 non-divided roads meet at a stoplight.

I've tried tweaking several of the netimport settings as described in the SUMO docs (e.g.   --junctions.join, --junctions.join-dist, --tls.join, --tls.join-dist) and that helps some of the smaller intersections, but it doesn't fix many. Is there anything else I can try?

I can go into netedit and remove the unnecessary lights and junctions, but this issue occurs frequently across my maps. Any time I can save by not manually editing my maps would be great.

Thanks for any help!
Linwood