Re: [sumo-user] Questions about manipulating SUMO networks

Hello Jan,
Note, that overlapping areas are not resolved automatically and they may cause errors during merging.
You can add the netconvert option --ignore-errors to build the network anyway but should then fix up the border area in netedit.
regards,
Jakob

Hello,
generally speaking, only netconvert will support generation of .net.xml files (it is tricky). The most sumolib might do in the future is generate plain-xml input files from a loaded and modfied network as input for netconvert. However, your use cases are already supported.

1) In the latest development version (20a9fc9e78f24f2555cf3e3ed00ac7f0d983736d) you can merge geo-referenced networks simply by loading them together with netconvert:

netconvert -s net1.net.xml,net2.net.xml -o merged.net.xml

If you do not want to build this version from the github sources, wait until tomorrow to download the updated binaries here:http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Downloads#SUMO_-_Latest_Development_Version

2) You can patch an existing network with z-data from various sources: http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Networks/Elevation

regards,
Jakob

Hello,

I have two networks that were originally converted from OSM to .net.xml and heavily edited in `netedit` afterwards. These networks cover neighbouring areas in the city and they share common edges/nodes. I would like to join them into one larger network, but manual approach is not feasible, the networks are quite large. Before I start to develop something, I wanted to ask if by chance there is a tool that would be able to accomplish this (maybe `netconvert` has something that I have overlooked?).

If not, my best shot would be to patch `sumolib` to allow easier merge of both network graphs (not easy but doable) and then patch `sumolib` again to be able to write out a network file (I looked only briefly into the source and I did find only a method to read the network, there seems to be no write method available). Any thoughts about this approach?

The second question regards adding elevation to an existing .net.xml file. The original data in OSM are flat, but I have now a possibility to map geo-coordinates to elevation data. I cannot use the original OSM to extend it with elevation data due to the fact that the network has been already edited, so my approach would be again to use `sumolib`, map the XY coordinates to LatLon coordinates using the provided `sumolib` methods, request the elevation from the mapping server, update the nodes/edges with elevation data (just assigning the elevation to Z axis) and then use the above mentioned patched `sumolib` to spit out a new network. Does it sound reasonable or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for comments.

Jan