Re: [sumo-dev] Miscalculation of Rotational Kinetic Energy, Curvature Energy Loss, and Auxiliary Energy Demand

Dear Joerg,

I am just curious: Do you have (or will you have) any comparison with measurements of real vehicles in real traffic? We are namely using the original HelpersEnergy subsystem to compute energy flows in the ElecHybrid device and, to be sure, we have tried to validate the outputs of SUMO against telemetry that we have from trolleybuses -- and, given the natural variance of the data that you get from such a vehicle in real traffic (different saloon occupation and hence different mass, different traffic conditions, different daily temperatures resulting in heavy variations in auxiliary power consumption and so on) and given that for the modelled vehicle you get at least three different sets of drag and resistance parameters (one set provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle, a second set from the provider of the chassis, and the third one from the vehicle operator), we were quite happy with the results even with the current implementation (the only change is that we try to limit the acceleration of a vehicle based on its power limits).

On the other hand, there is a paper from 2018 (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8450371) that reports a 23-29% difference
in energy consumption compared to a test with a real electric vehicle. I did not read it yet, I just came across it recently.

That leaves me wondering whether our comparison is correct and whether we should not crosscheck it one more time...

Jan