Re: [sumo-dev] Dynamic delta time

I'm not sure what the cars should be doing while their status is "remote controlled" but they are not actually receiving remote control commands.
You could resolve this by detecting the situation in your own code (yourEventTime > simulation.getTime() + simulation.getDeltaT()).
In this situation, call simulationStep() and moveToXY() with your own position interpolation until you have caught up with yourEventTime (you know best what the cars should be doing in the meantime).