[sumo-dev] Modelling parking

Hi,
I've a personal interest in parking behaviour and have been looking at SUMO with a view to modelling this.

I'm very new to the code and my C++ is seriously rusty, so my apologies if I've missed the blindingly obvious in what feels to be a solid, very comprehensive solution.

Stepping through the code it appears that parking in the current model does not include manoeuvering time.
My perception is that in the simulation step, after the vehicle stops, it is effectively moved into the parking bay and removed from the net, irrespective of on-road/off-road, space angle and forward/reverse/parallel parking factors.

If I have misunderstood this please could someone give me a hint as to where in the code I might look for more granular behaviour?

If this isn't modelled then I'd like to spend some time learning SUMO/investigating this and would be grateful for any observations/pointers. I'm specifically interested in impacts of bay angles and in-lane bays.
( I suspect that lane disruption related to eg parallel parking will impact congestion/timings and consequently emissions, similarly reverse parking is assumed to reduce emissions because the manoeuvre is performed with a 'warm' engine.)

I might think that there would need to be:
Driver parameters:  encompassing experience/skill and/or (cultural?) propensity to reverse park.
Vehicle type parameters:  for nominal time to forward/reverse/parallel park, and equivalent timings for leaving the space
The manouevre time derived from the current bay occupancy and these parameters would then be used to derive the lane blocking time associated with beginning / ending parking.

My initial guess would be that this could be implemented in the vehicle class but I don't yet understand the code enough to know whether this would be the 'correct' place - or whether it may be more appropriate eg in the lane change classes.

cheers (& thanks for reading)
div

Back to the top