Re: [sumo-dev] SUMO for learning autonomous driving in urban environments

Hello,
the 2D vehicle dynamics in SUMO are limited to address a specifc range of behaviors (multiple vehicles on the same lane, overtaking on the same lane, virtual lane formation, lateral encroachment). This is done by activating the sublane model (http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/SublaneModel).
The model is based on longitudinal and lateral speed but does not address steering angle.
The vehicle angle can be set by the user and also does change according to lateral manoeuvres but this is only used for visualization.
If you were to use your own model that translates steering/acceleration controls into lateral speeds then you could reflect this in sumo.

SUMO does allow for vehicle-pedestrian interactions when their paths cross at intersections and also when they are using the same road lane. The default pedestrian model is tailed for speed and is not very realistic in regard to crowd dynamics. There are ongoing plans to couple other pedestrian simulations, though.

SUMO gives you vehicle and pedestrian positions as points and rather than shapes. The internal model for collision avoidance is based on bounding boxes. You can ratrieve length, width and angle of these bounding boxes for generating lidar response/occupancy grids.

The car following modules in SUMO are encapsulated from the rest of the code and can be extended with custom code (or own models added to the existing set) with some C++ proficiency. This has repeatedly been done by third parties.

regards,
Jakob