Re: [stp-dev] Relationship/codesharing etc between BPEL and BPMN projects

Hi Bill.

I am one of the contributers for the STP.BPMN project.

I don't think the 2 projects overlap:
you can walk through a BPMN graph and try to generate BPEL out of it.
we could feed that to the BPEL editor.
Or the other way round: you could create a BPMN object model out of a
BPEL object model and display that in the BPMN editor.

Hence the generation-transformation code must be aware of the 2
projects. I am not sure there is much to share for the 2 projects
outside of that context.

The fundamental reason is that the BPEL semantics and the BPMN
semantics are very different. So a UI for BPEL is fundamentally
different from an equivalent process displayed with BPMN.
An example of the difference:
BPEL defines a sequence of activities by placing them into a container object:
you will see a container shape for a bpel:sequence element.
BPMN defines a sequence of activities by having them connected in a
graph structure:
there is no container.

My apologies to the contributers of the BPEL project if these
conclusions are mislead.
Please do correct me.

Best regards,
Hugues.