[stp-dev] Re: Apache CXF Integration with the Eclipse STP

Hi Dan,

eclipse usually manages its dependencies in the form of eclipse plugins, instead of jars. So what we're proposing is here is that all the jars required by the STP are present and encapsulated in one plugin that we can place a dependency on. I've put the exact list of jars that we need into the jira issue that I've raised for this task:

Hope this answers your question.

Adrian.

Dan Diephouse wrote:
Hi Adrian,

I think this sounds reasonable. Far be it from me to hinder anyone who is writing an Eclipse plugin which uses CXF! :-)

One question though: How does depending on CXF differ from depending on a plugin that CXF produces?

- Dan

Adrian Skehill wrote:

Hi There,

As part of the ongoing work within the Eclipse SOA Tools Platform (STP) project, we are planning on migrating our Service Creation component to use CXF instead of Celtix 1.0. What we did for Celtix was to commit all the required jars in order to run the code generation into the STP CVS repository. The Eclipse Foundation has a very extensive legal process that needs to be run over all third party committed components and continuing in this way would take a huge amount of time and effort, particularly if the jars that CXF depended on changed. Plus some jars are not re-distributable (e.g. CDDL based libs) which gives us more problems.

So, I would like to propose that instead of updating STP to include CXF jars, CXF would create an eclipse plugin that the STP could use to satisfy the dependencies. This plugin would be a very simple wrapper type plugin, and it would only contain the required libs necessary to use the CXF generators and any other components that would benefit from tooling. This plugin would need to be made publicly available for download and we then in STP would put a dependency to bring it in as part of our build / test purposes.

This should be a fairly straightforward task to do, and we would be able provide assistance in getting the build system modified to publish the plugin. Anybody who would download the STP would also need to bring in this plugin as we will not be able to ship it without approval from the Eclipse legal department.

I'd love to hear back and get the ball moving on this so that then CXF would be able to benefit from integrating with the STP and Eclipse environments.

Any comments / thoughts / concerns?

Regards,
Adrian Skehill.

Principal Engineer,