STEM Community Call June 4, 2015
On call: Jamie, Kun, Matthias, Zhiyuan Song, Judy
Next call: Thursday, July 9, 2015
1. First call merging Ebola Modeling calls into the STEM Community calls, following the downturn in the epidemic
- Introducing Zhiyuan Song, at Stanford, has worked with Kun on Ebola
- Time of the STEM call will remain as (9 am Pacific) for the next call on July 9, 2015
- Kun to invite Kamesh to join next month’s call
2. Release status updates: Jamie
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Version 2.0.4 scheduled for June 5 will be rescheduled
<![if !supportLists]>o <![endif]>Stefan and Jamie to confirm new target date next week
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>Matt Davis will return August 3, do fixes, work on STEM
<![if !supportLists]>o <![endif]>Milestone 1 for Version 3 set for October 21
<![if !supportLists]>o <![endif]>Progress with Luna (Eclipse 4.x) and Java 8 and build process
<![if !supportLists]>§ <![endif]>Bug occurs with the model builder; can change the nature of the object
<![if !supportLists]>§ <![endif]>Current version of STEM uses Java 6, Eclipse 3; Eclipse 3 and Java 8 are not compatible
3. BfR ideas and suggestions: Matthias (see also item 8)
- Trouble running the salmonella model; can’t see edges
- Chris (who developed the model) and Jamie will talk (nothing in model has changed )
- Bug 465838: see item 6 below
- Matthias: Recent interest among other governmental agencies in modeling trade networks
- Matthias: Goal is to create model repositories for use in crisis situations
4. Feature request updates: DEFER ALL UNTIL MIGRATION TO JAVA 8 AND LUNA COMPLETED
- Work hopefully to begin in August
[Restricting air travel for certain compartments; New plug in to measure poverty; Plug in for roads in Africa; Batch to control sequencer; Log automated experiments (?); Modify sequencer to get automatic experiments to run batch]
5. Java 8 compatibility/support and Eclipse 4.x (Luna): TOP PRIORITY See item 2.
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]>465981. Dengue model, Kamesh’s bug. Problem modifying value of one parameter, re-initializing scenario; problem with STEM or scenario? Problem with logger when running STEM headless?
<![if !supportLists]>o <![endif]>Stefan working on this
<![if !supportLists]>· <![endif]> 465838. Graph editor, posted by Matthias. “Save graph as” and “save graph” don’t work. Migration history doesn’t show.
<![if !supportLists]>o <![endif]>Jamie to confer with Chris on this; might be modulating the migration rate or something in file
- Jamie: Almaden team’s work on food safety; will share with Matthias offline
8. Items from participants
- Matthias. Long term strategic question re requests from other agencies on time discrete transportation events: Is it possible to model 100K events with STEM? Data is available.
- Jamie: Will talk with Chris; perhaps could create a graph if most nodes (farm/destination) are same; could determine by looking at existing data
- Matthias: Merge STEM with mime-based tool? Repeat IBM/BfR week in Berlin?
- Matthias. Long term strategic question re usability, possibility of creating a web-based system, opportunities with other European agencies on a web-based interface
- Jamie: Great potential, but non-trivial to create
- Zhiyuan. Working to combine ebola data from multiple databases, multiple countries, for analysis, use with different models, e.g., for transmission rate, re-introduction
- Jamie: Now possible with STEM