[starter-dev] Full vs Platform

Can folks (especially committers and key stakeholders) kindly weigh in on this one: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/starter/issues/238?

To be honest, I think this is a usability hiccup we basically have with Jakarta EE. We have the notion of profiles, but there isn’t actually a “Full Profile”. It’s just the “Platform”. In my experience, this invariably confuses newcomers.

I tried to reconcile this by simply saying “Full Platform” in the UI. I think either “(Full) Platform” or “Platform (Full)” does the trick too.

What do others think? To be clear, I am not categorically opposed to just saying “Platform”. I don’t think it’s the best but it is workable. It’s certainly what the actual specification says.

P.S.: I opposed this nomenclature almost ten years ago. Bill and Linda had many opinions I never fully agreed with including keeping EJB going much past its expiration date. To me this is yet another one of the Bill/Linda legacies.

Back to the top