Re: [starter-dev] Starter archetypes / GUI / Issue #67

He Reza,

Thanks for the tips!

Today I’ve:

- Updated my GUI (https://ivonet.github.io/archetype/) to EPLv2
- Updated the most recent archetype (https://github.com/IvoNet/jakartaee9-payara-microprofile-archetype) to EPLv2 and did some small updates
- Updated my blog (https://www.ivonet.nl/2022/05/05/javaee---jakarta-ee-initializr/) so that it will also be posted on https://jakartablogs.ee/ shortly.

A start has been made :-)

Have a nice evening.

Kind regards,

Ivo
@ivonet

On 4 May 2022, at 23:40, Reza Rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is great. We should wait a tiny bit and unless there are objections from anyone else I suggest the following course of action, roughly in order.

* Could you kindly change all your potentially donated code to EPL: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/starter/blob/master/LICENSE? I believe this ensures basically no legal trouble. Please let us know when that is done?

* Since bringing in the minimal Archetype will involve some work, I suggest the most efficient way to get it done is for me to simply work on a PR. It will involve addressing the gaps I noted, adding support for multiple target runtimes as well as introducing Maven modules. I think I can easily do this by the end of this weekend. You and others can review the PR.

* As you are aware, Jeyvison has already started working on Jakarta EE 9 support. I think it's best to wait a bit for him to properly finish that work. So I will just stick to Jakarta EE 8 runtimes for my merge effort. Done the right way, adding Jakarta EE 9/10 support should be quite trivial.

* I think Ivo, it would be great if you could start the UI effort in parallel. I won't attempt to pull in the UI that is there now. I suggest starting a fresh thread on the UI (this one I think is already a bit convoluted). The first decision is actually choosing the backend technology. Ivar and the Eclipse Foundation should help guide us with that. The basic experience should be allowing the user to choose some high level functional parameters and letting them download a zip file that is ready to go I think. Whether we like it or not, Spring/Quarkus/MicroProfile starters are probably our baseline target experience to a large extent. That said, let's kindly discuss on a separate thread and hopefully others will also chime in with regards to the right direction.

P.S.: * I think we all can agree the MicroProfile/Jakarta EE situation is very unfortunate. Unless you have already done so, I suggest sharing your viewpoints here: https://accounts.eclipse.org/mailing-list/cn4j-alliance. I advise keeping modest expectations. Change in the "right direction" has been incredibly slow.

* If best practices, clean code and architecture is your passion, have you considered Eclipse Cargo Tracker: https://eclipse-ee4j.github.io/cargotracker/?