[starter-dev] A few questions / discussion items on archetype 1.0.0

Hi y’all,

I have been playing with the new jakartaEE archetype 1.0.0 and have a few ideas / questions / findings I would like to discuss with you.
The main reason I do this here and not on the issue list (https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/starter/issues) is that none of these ideas are actually bugs or issues.

Ideas / Questions

  • Is it a good idea to create one archetype per git repo?

The reasoning behind this is that you can easily create a new archetype when needed.
For every example an archetype?
Every repo separately maintainable and version-able.
A Gui to choose from the different archetypes and examples.
Right now the archetype supports multiple application servers and that makes it more difficult to maintain IMHO.

  • The current archetype has a database in the demo code, but that database is not application server managed. does that not defeat the purpose of a Jakarta project with a database.

Normally when run in an application server I am used to a JTA managed datasource where the application server is responsible for the actual connection.
Maybe that makes the example misleading or confusing for users.

In a Dockerfile it is fully possible to do this. It is not necessarily easy but do-able (https://seashells.io/v/XJpU2VpC)

  • The archetype should have a README.md file with basic information about the how and what of the archetype.
  • and example run scripts.
  • A License file?

So that are some of the things I was thinking about when trying out the archetype :-)
Please let me know what you think.

Have a nice weekend.

Ivo.

@ivonet