From: sparkplug-wg <sparkplug-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Justin Brzozoski
Sent: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 4:15 PM
To: sparkplug-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Vincent Romano <Vincent.Romano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [sparkplug-wg] Does Ignition honor payload/metric is_transient flag?

EXTERNAL SENDER

It's possible someone from Cirrus Link may reply directly with more information, but I can confirm that the MQTT Engine module currently ignores the is_transient flag in all cases.  From my understanding, any time the MQTT Engine updates a tag's current value the normal Ignition processes notice a tag change and push it into the historian.  I don't think there is a way that MQTT Engine could change the current tag value but tell Ignition to not record it in history.  The only way that a metric flagged is_transient could be kept out of the history would be if MQTT Engine ignored it completely and never updated the Ignition tag value.

The is_historical flag works differently, since MQTT Engine doesn't update the current tag value, and just pushes the metric into the historian directly.

If your primary interest is in recording only specific reports to the historian, you may also want to ask Cirrus Link about their new "DRECORDS" features.  It's new enough that I don't totally understand it and it might not actually apply to your use case, but I think it might.

Solving Communication Roadblocks with Immutable Data Records . Companies in industries ranging from manufacturing to oil and gas often face the same problem–they need to transfer data between two components, and they need those data points to both stay together as a group and remain unchanged.

Justin Brzozoski | Senior Firmware/Systems Engineer

140 Locke Drive, Suite B, Marlborough, MA 01752

o:  978-212-2868 x40222 | e: justin.brzozoski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | www.signal-fire.com

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may contain privileged or copyrighted information. You must not present this message to another party without first gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, print, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us.

If you received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this email is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.

Back to the top