[sirius-dev] Sirius @ ECE

Hi folks, EclipseCon Europe was last week, here are a few notes from my perspective:

Many people came to us (Maxime, me, or at the Obeo booth) to express how they liked Sirius when they tried it. They are really *excited* about what they can achieve so quickly, so congrats to you ! Just like last year, the fast bugzilla and forum answering makes everything smoother.

The Xtext+Sirius subject is quite hot, my talk (slides here [1]) on the subject drawn quite a lot of peoples and triggered many discussions to the point that a BOF was proposed on Tuesday by users on this specific topic in addition to the "Sirius BOF" of Wednesday night. Both bofs went flawlessly except the room we had had no tables (which makes a tutorial-like BOF harder), users could go through the tutorial and finish it with pretty much no assistance and where quite happy with it. My personnal experience of the Wednesday bof is that it actually turned more into a discussion and exchanges with users already adopting Sirius (which is good too !).

From what I saw, most peoples are still in a fairly early stage and are using the "basic" features of Sirius. Those who went further than the basics came to us speaking about uses cases where they would like Sirius to not be so visible, or would have a user experience closer to the classic "Eclipse Editor" one. - not leveraging the Modeling Project (which is actually possible already, but the UI are still there unless you leverage the anwkard Eclipse "capabilities" mechanism) - declaring an Eclipse Editor which leverages Sirius behind the scene (which is sort of possible already but is barely tested, no documented and is probably not flexible enough to cover many use cases) We might want to think a bit about this "class of usage" and try to list use cases, maybe by asking the community.

Other advanced users are looking for proper APIs to "hook" into some places of Sirius, notably :
- programmatically creating/updating palette entries
- programmatically compute Layers, basically just like if we had a "LayerMapping" (and next people will ask the "DiagramMapping" ;) )

The jump from 1.0 to 2.0 and then 3.0 in June scares people a bit. It would be useful to have a clear statement on the website about what we are actually changing. Technically speaking we make sure the models are loaded and migrated "on the fly" meaning that a modeler based on Sirius 1.0 which is not using an impacted Java API and gets deployed in Sirius 2.0 should *just work* or this is a migration bug. Regarding the Java API we take extra care about the "APIs most peoples are using" and are not breaking those. We might want to express this clearly at least in a blog post and try to publish the actual API changes between both versions in a better way than the release notes [3]. The fact that EcoreTools 2.0 which actually uses quite a few APIs can run on both Sirius 1.0 and 2.0 could be publicized as an example of that policy.

Performance is always a concern, the ongoing work and my blog post [1] regarding this effort helped a lot as it gives at least an idea of what we are aiming to.

Consistency is a concern too, the fact that the "representation refresh" can be made "on demand" is really reassuring to users, people got burnt already with the "let's change everything and fail if something is not up-to-date" of other technologies. This kind of resilience (the diagram will just diplay markers on "unavailable" elements) is useful in many situations. That being said, we need a proper API or at least document how one can plug its own "Automatic Refresh "strategy. Somebody also mentionned the Rename/Move participants during the conference (which we tracked already).

The gallery is a very useful tool to show what others did with Sirius already. Good timing in publishing it right before the conference !

I'll open a few bugzillas to capture these potential evolutions.

Again, congrats and keep up the good work !

[1] http://fr.slideshare.net/cbrun/xtext-sirius
[2] http://model-driven-blogging.blogspot.fr/2014/10/sirius-20-under-hood.html
[3] https://www.eclipse.org/sirius/doc/Release%20Notes.html

Back to the top