Re: [servlet-dev] [jakartaee-platform-dev] What do we exactly dislike in Servlet?

On 13/07/2022 07:26, Greg Wilkins wrote:

<snip/>

To answer a much earlier question, Tomcat does not have an internal low-level HTTP API at the moment.

So is there an appetite for a standardized low level HTTP API?   There is definitely an appetite for low level HTTP APIs, but I'm not so sure that we could find a single abstraction to suit everybody (other than the jetty-12 one, which if course is perfect and all things to all people).    Should it be async? Should it be blocking and based on Loom virtual threads? Should it just transport bytes and delegate content type handling to frameworks?

I think there is an appetite for a low-level standardized API. It will take time (but we have time at the moment) but I do think it should be possible to agree an API that everyone can support.

The key question for me is Async vs Loom+Blocking.

As has been pointed out, there are plenty of async APIs already. To some extent a common, low-level async API seems like something we should have been working on a couple of Servlet versions ago.

If we start from the assumption that Loom is the future (the first step may actually be to debate that assumption) then I wonder if we would not be better off thinking about a low level, Loom based, blocking API as the basis for a future split of the Servlet spec.

Mark

Back to the top