Re: [servlet-dev] [External] : Re: servlet.next 5.1. or 6.0

In the Platform group call this past week, it was suggested that it might make sense to propose a release around the end of this year (Oct. 15 is the initial SWAG target for each component's Release Review). This release would propose the language base version of Java be SE 11. Then, we would propose a subsequent release, 12 to 18 months after that would be based at Java 17. From then, we'd see if we could to keep EE Platform releases up to date with LTS releases from Java SE.

Of course, these are all still proposals. The meeting minutes from the 20th have not yet been pushed to the platform minutes log but you can read the raw notes, here (I'll confess they aren't particularly clear yet.)

Maybe that input will help. I'd be interested to understand if any of this is helpful with respect to Servlet feature planning.

Also, I will offer that the Platform team would be grateful to hear feedback from component teams like this one so if you have ideas or comments -- we would like to hear them.

-- Ed