Re: [servlet-dev] Less is More for servlet 6.0

On 13/04/2021 07:27, Greg Wilkins wrote:

All,

I've just published a blog called Less is More <https://webtide.com/less-is-more-servlet-api/> where I make the argument that we need to remove and/or deprecate several features in the servlet specification for 6.0, so that we can clear the decks for new features.

I won't repeat the blog here (it's rather long), but as discussion of the spec should be here, I will direct commenters to this thread.

I haven't had a chance to review the article in detail so I'll just say I think there is going to be quite a bit of discussion around exactly what should be removed and what should stay.

I need to get a draft release plan submitted today for the next development iteration so I am going to submit one for a major release (6.0) rather than a minor release (5.1) on the basis that whatever we do I am fairly sure we are going to want to make backwards incompatible API changes. Whether that is as little as removing the code that has been deprecated for well over a decade or as much as Greg is advocating for is very much TBD but we have time to discuss that.

I'm going to keep the plan very high level. Essentially:
- remove deprecated features
- consider removing / deprecating additional features
- add clarify to existing features
- implement requested enhancements

Prioritisation to be determined by the community as work progresses.

Mark

Back to the top