Re: [servlet-dev] Transitioning to Jakarta EE namespace

Here is an interesting opinion piece on this: https://markclittle.blogspot.com/2019/05/to-enterprise-java-and-beyond-personal.html

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 11:52, Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All,

I draw your attention to the discussions regarding the potential need to transition for javax.* namespace to the jakarta.* namespace:

 [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace
 - https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jakartaee-platform-dev/msg00029.html

This is an incredibly significant matter that may well shape our development efforts for years to come.  It is extremely important that we come up with a reasonable approach to overcome this difficult issue - both from a servlet point of view and as the wider jakarta EE community.

The EE ramification will be discussed in  https://accounts.eclipse.org/mailing-list/jakartaee-platform-dev and all are welcome to participate.  However, I believe that in parallel (and to correctly inform the EE discussion),  we need to discuss the servlet specific ramifications, opportunities, evolution, revolutions, etc.    I think this is the correct forum to do this and I invite input and discussion here.

I expect that there will be many relevant discussions external to this forum and the platform-dev one: blogs, articles, vendor lists, other forums etc.   I plan to write my own thoughts down in a blog soon.     Thus can we make an effort to link such external discussion here.

Ultimately I expect that an email forum thread will be insufficient to capture all the issues, concerns, solutions, alternatives, etc. and that we may eventually need to use an issue tracker or similar, but let's start with a thread to at least get the ideas circulating.