Re: [science-iwg] Key outcomes from today's meeting

On 08/04/2014 2:17 PM, Andrew Ross wrote:
Consensus was not reached as to whether Guest members should have voting rights or not. A compromise was suggested to leave it to the Steering Committee to bestow voting rights or not when adding guests. I'm going to use lazy consensus here & suggest we do that... if you are NOT OK with this idea, please speak up ASAP.

I was not part of the conversation, so I don't know the rationale behind the debate. But as someone who has some passing experience in open source governance, I would say that giving Guest Members voting rights is a bad idea. Voting is supposed to be about merit and contribution. If you have a temporary and passing participation in a group I don't know why you would expect to get voting rights.

That's my $0.02 worth. Feel free to ignore me :)

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top