Re: [science-iwg] KNIME and Eclipse 4.3M6

Hi Erwin,

cool, thanks for your explanations. I'll give it a try in the next days.

Cheers,
Philip

Am 16.04.2013 10:14, schrieb Erwin de Ley:
Hi Philip, Andy, all,

Passerelle is a specialization/extension of the Ptolemy II framework of Univ of Berkeley : http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/
Another related project, for specific scientific domains  and currently still with a larger users-group than Passerelle (but this will hopefully change ;-) ), is Kepler : https://kepler-project.org/

Within this family of workflow-related systems, the basic components are "actors".
There are R & Matlab actors available in Ptolemy and Kepler since a long time.
We have not used them yet in our own work, but they should be straightforward to include in the Passerelle setup or derived/extended tools like DAWN.

At iSencia we typically integrate Passerelle in a server-based solution that is integrated with a relational database.
Some basic reporting options are supported via web-UIs then.
And complex reporting needs are then solved via standard SQL and reporting tools like BIRT etc.

So we do have some experience with BIRT usage and integration, but more focused on web-apps
And it is not in a same ready-to-use state in the RCP workbench as with KNIME.

What could be positive drivers to choose for Passerelle, if you're looking for a tool for scientific workflows?
- the underlying Ptolemy framework as a solid base for advanced workflow systems
- Passerelle builds on this to offer extra features, both technical and functional, e.g. :
-- integration with OSGi/Equinox
-- dedicated process/workflow-related features
-- transparent concurrency, support for asynchronous tasks etc
-- the architecture has been defined from the ground up to be open and modular
-- proven on multiple UI environments : RCP, Swing, web. All based on a common modular platform
- the availability of DAWN as a proven RCP-based scientific workbench, integrating Passerelle with a huge features-set and open for further extensions and specializations
- also the active DAWN community is certainly a plus. Depending on your exact needs you may be able to join/reuse DAWN?
- Passerelle has been used since years for different domains: from data acquisition & control for physical experiments to high-throughput server systems for automated diagnostics and repair.

What you should be aware of :
- Passerelle itself is not a finished package for specific scientific domains, but a generic actor-based workflow infrastructure.
- We offer a "vanilla" RCP workbench, mainly to illustrate possibilities.
- I.e. Passerelle is more oriented towards developer communities that can then use it to build a specialized end-user package.
- DAWN is the perfect example of this approach, if your're looking at RCP workbenches.

Hope this gives you already some useful info for your evaluation. We can certainly go in more detail if you want!

Kind regards
erwin