[rt-pmc] Dual Licensing RT Projects

Dear RT PMC,

In yesterday’s Eclipse Foundation Board of Directors meeting, a new policy was agreed to which has significant positive implications for the RT top-level project.

As I am sure you’ve noticed, many projects within EclipseRT are dual-licensed. And most, if not all, of the recent projects required a Board vote to approve their acceptance as a dual-licensed project.

Yesterday, it was agreed to allow top-level project charters to specify dual-licensing combinations which were desirable for a project community. The TLP charter would have to be approved unanimously by the Board, but once it has any new project could be accepted without a Board vote. Accordingly, I would like to suggest that the RT PMC revise its project charter to allow projects licensed under:

1.       EPL 1.0

2.       EPL 1.0 + EDL 1.0

3.       EPL 1.0 + ALv2

This has the clear advantage that any new project interested in coming to Eclipse would have a clear understanding of which licensing options were open to them, without requiring Board approval.

I hope this sounds like goodness to the group?

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director

Eclipse Foundation

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx