Re: [rdf4j-dev] Discoverability

On Thu, 19 Dec. 2019, 08:01 Håvard Ottestad, <hmottestad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

In IntelliJ there is little or no discoverability for isolation levels or for rio settings. By that I mean you can’t just cmd+tab (or ctrl-space) and get what you’re looking for. I understand why rio settings are interface based, but isolation levels I don’t think need to be interface based and could be enum instead.

Actually, IsolationLevels is an enum (with members of type IsolationLevel). But if there's some improvement we can do to make it easier to discover, I'd like to hear it.

This wasn’t really my qualm. What I was wondering about is if other people are getting more discoverability in IntelliJ or Eclipse? For instance, does the basic rio settings show up in the code hint menu? Can you type “inline” and get the inline bnodes option up?

I'm old-fashioned: I do a lot of javadoc searching in my browser. Also, having done quite a lot of RDF4J work, I tend to know at least the basic class name I need for autocomplete: I'd type something like `BasicWriter[ctrl+space].[ctrl+space]` because I know I'd likely find bnode inlining in the BasicWriterSettings.

But my habits are hardly a model for people new to RDF4J of course. Also don't claim to know all autocomplete features of Eclipse back to front, not even sure something like want you suggest is possible.

Jeen

PS fwiw I have recently started using intellij myself as my eclipse keeps getting in an endless loop on maven builds. I've logged a bug and intend to get back to finding the cause (it started after the test reorg I did) but until that's resolved I'll use Intellij.

Håvard