Re: [rdf4j-dev] what major/breaking changes do we want? and when do we want them?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 14:58, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The milestone for the next major release, 3.0, is undated, and has no real focus at the moment. As you can see here:
>
>  https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/milestone/17
>
> There isn't a lot of exciting new stuff planned for RDF4J 3.0 - it's mostly just about removing deprecated stuff and doing some cleanup.
>
> So the question is: can we think of any major things that we'd like to include in RDF4J in the near future, stuff that we should
> start thinking about and putting tickets into the 3.0 milestone for?
>
> And when do we want to start thinking about doing a major release? Is first thing after minor release 2.5 a good idea? Or should we wait until we actually have something major and urgent ready to put in there?
>
> Note: I'm perfectly fine with doing a major release even if most of what we do is non-exciting cleanup stuff. But it'd be a shame if we do a major release, and then two weeks after we figure out we want to do this other non-backward-compatible thing.

A declaration of what modules and packages are considered as part of
the "Public API" for SemVer purposes would be useful for a major
version bump (even if it isn't done on the 2.x branch).

https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/issues/619

Formalising that using named modules would be the cleanest way in the
long term. Modules are still Java-8 compatible although you can't
compile 'module.java' using Java-8 so all developers would need to
switch to Java-11 for RDF4J internal development once the build bugs
are fixed.

https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/issues/1148

Cheers,

Peter