Re: [ptp-dev] Merge

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 11, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 11, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Also, please provide an example showing the exact steps I would use to:

1. Add a new file to ptp_5_0 and the steps to merge this into master.
- You would add the file in ptp_5_0 (Team->Add (optional), Team->Commit)
- Than if you use two work-spaces:
You would need to get the updated 5.0 branch into the master workspace. You can either push it to the remote repository (Team->Push to Upstream) and pulling it from the master one(Team->Pull). Or you could directly Fetch it from the other local repository. You need to set this up once (*) This is both faster and if you made a mistake you can still correct it before you push it to the official repository.
- If you use one repository you switch branches (Team->Switch To->master)
-Now you can Merge ( Team->Merge->ptp_5_0)

Can I merge using the remote tracking branch, or do I have to have a local copy of ptp_5_0 in the second repository to merge against?
You can merge using the remote tracking branch.

I just tried this and it merged everything in my workspace.
Yes. It merges everything which hasn't already been merged. That's why we need to once mark everything as merged using the "merge -s ours"  (only available on the console not through egit).

I guess you should do this now, so we can do the merging.
OK. Done. I was waiting on you deciding whether you want to do this approach.

How do I reset my workspace back to the way it was before the merge?

Do you want to reset a merge you made accidentally or for testing? You can do that with Team->Reset->Hard (usual warning reset->hard removes ALL changes).
If you just want to undo a commit which has been merged in you should use Revert (History View Right Click->Revert).
I hope I didn't misunderstand you and I was supposed to do the merge I did.

Roland

Thanks,
Greg

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309