Re: [ptp-dev] Merge

On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

3. Change two files in ptp_5_0, push the changes, then only apply the change from one file to master.

The two files should be changed in two different commits. If they are not one should go back and fix the commit (Team->Reset->Mixed, 2xTeam->Commit)
This reduces the problem to: Make commits in ptp_5_0 and merge only some of them into master:
Merge all as before
Open History View
Right Click commit which should not be in master->Revert Commit

This is only an example of a much more complex problem I just had. In order to fix a single bug, I had to modify about 5 files in ptp_5_0, however two of these files had completely diverged in master, so there was absolutely no way to merge them using a diff viewer. I had to manually piece them together from the changes in the other branch.

Are you suggesting that we should use multiple commits even when there is no logical need for it, like for each file that is modified?

If this is the case, then it again tends to indicate to me that Git is forcing me to work in a particular way. Git is forcing me to commit even if I don't want to, otherwise I can't make the changes. So now I have to think about this as well as trying to solve the problem. CVS doesn't impose any such restriction.

Greg

Back to the top