[ptp-dev] PTP Helios repository; PTP features and install process

Some observations about what's in our PTP features. and the install process.

Using the Helios update site (categorized: the default: "Group items by category" remains checked)
If I check all the PTP items under "General Purpose Tools" I get this: (Using filter "PTP" here to get a smaller screenshot)

But then if I uncategorize and search for PTP I see a bunch of features are not selected (screenshot below)

*But*, just for the record, all the PTP features that are NOT checked in the above *are* part of the PTP End-user runtime feature,
and if you go ahead with the install you see in the "Install Details" page that they are there (another screenshot below):

So then I started wondering why do we have all the PTP Resource Managers as separate features if they are all included
in the PTP End-user runtime?
I thought the answer was: if you wanted a smaller install: if you just select a particular resource manager,
You will pull in it and the major components of the run-time w/o the other res mgrs, and the dependencies
will pull in the pre-reqs it needs (PTP, and eventually CDT).

But if I do an install and select e.g. just the OpenMPI Res Mgr, It seems to get the core parts of PTP (runtime perspective ok, but launching can't find enough debugger stuff to let you proceed),
but the pre-req for CDT doesn't get the editor or any C/C++ build sysem (nice error tells you this) ... so, it's close...

Anyway, food for thought.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Greg Watson ---06/11/2010 08:58:46 PM---We have managed to get a new PTP build into Helos. It's now aGreg Watson ---06/11/2010 08:58:46 PM---We have managed to get a new PTP build into Helos. It's now available at http://download.eclipse.org

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/11/2010 08:58 PM

[ptp-dev] New PTP build

Sent by: