[platform-ui-dev] RE: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Results of SearchUI issue walkthrough

(Was titled "RE: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Reminder: Conference Call: Wednesday, July 9th, 17:00 UTC or 10:00 PDT. Call 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode 892048#".
CC'ing platform UI list so there is awareness of interest in this area)

Thanks for the writeup Kaloyan.

I just wanted to clarify something, based on an IM and another email thread:

I actually don't own or maintain Search UI.  I just have lots of opinions on lots of things and that provides the illusion of ownership :)   I am though a platform committer and care about Search.  I have no planned enhancements to Search and am not aware of plans in this area.  What I showed in the call was some ideas I had resulting from investation two years ago.  Its healthy for us to have some new thinking in this area so I'd like to encourage this effort!

If the community wants to put some heads and hands together, I can help by providing some input and guidance, but the platform team hasn't resources to apply much above that of guidance, sadly. Dani Megert (committer for platform, text, JDT) is also interested in this topic.  We said we'd have a follow up call and he'd like to be on it.

If there's energy behind this then by all means lets do some exploration as a tweaklet and see how it plays out. I'd advise front-loading this work in the 3.5 release cycle to give lots of time for feedback and iteration if something is to come of it.

Best Regards,
Kevin

"Raev, Kaloyan" <kaloyan.raev@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/10/2008 10:25 AM

Please respond to
User Interface Architecture Working Group        <ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"User Interface Architecture Working Group" <ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Reminder: Conference Call:        Wednesday, July 9th,        17:00 UTC or 10:00 PDT. Call 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode        892048#

Hello,

Here are my notes from the yesterday's call.

Bogdan Vatkov made a quick walk-through on the pain points in the current Search UI in Eclipse. The main point is that defining search criteria and looking at search results are tightly connected tasks. Therefore, it is quite natural to have them in one and the same view. See the attached slides for details.

Kevin McGuire presented a concept that is very close to Bogdan's proposal. He mentioned that there are dev resources needed to realize this experimental search form - may be the interested parties in the community can help? The Platform team is open on making changes.

There were people on the call that were in favor with the proposed new search concept and others that like the existing one. Therefore, the following was concluded:
 - There should be simple and advanced search modes in one and the same view. User make the choice for the mode.
 - Eclipse could provide Search UI for both old and new concepts and not sacrificing any of them.

Action items:
 - Start with a Bugzilla bug to collect our initial resources from this walk-through - documents, notes, etc. (Bogdan and Kaloyan)
 - Bogdan Vatkov will send the presentation slides. (done with this mail)
 - Kevin will send a document describing his new experimental search form.
 - Follow-up call in few weeks - there will be more people coming back from vacation. Until then discussions continue in the mailing list and Bugzilla.

Greetings,
Kaloyan

User Interface Architecture Working Group
[ui-best-practices-working-group] Reminder: Conference Call: Wednesday, July 9th, 17:00 UTC or 10:00 PDT. Call 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode 892048#

Conference Call: Wednesday, July 9th, 17:00 UTC or 10:00 PDT. Call 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode 892048#

Agenda: Search UI pain points walkthrough (Bogdan Vatkov)

- Bob