Re: [platform-ui-dev] Workbench BIDI support flips everything?

The Image API does not use the SWT.LEFT_TO_RIGHT or SWT.RIGHT_TO_LEFT
flag. The easiest solution is to set the Control that renders the image to
always have it's orientation set to SWT.LEFT_TO_RIGHT and then there will
be no changes in the rendering for changes in the system orientation.

Having said that if there is ever going to be Arabic or Hebrew text on the
image that solution may render the text wrong so they may need to do
something different in that case.

Tod

Randy Hudson <hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/23/2006 03:54 PM
Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
<platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Workbench BIDI support flips everything?

Most likely you are seeing a limitation in the usage of GDIplus, which is
used by SWT's advanced graphics.

-Randy

Bianca Xue Jiang/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/23/2006 03:26 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
<platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Workbench BIDI support flips everything?

When we conduct our globalization testing for BIDI support, we usually set
the system locale to a BIDI language speaking country (e.g. Hebrew in
Israel) in "Regional and Language Options" if not on a native platform.
Starting eclipse this way doesn't  seem to make the workbench
right-to-left.  However, in TPTP, we have a Test Log Viewer editor that
contains a graphical pie chart. The pie chart is displayed correctly in
this case (note the legend used to be on the right hand side of the pie in
a English locale, as well as inside the legend, icons used to be at the
left side of the text pass, fail...):

However, if I use "-dir rtl" or "-nl he" with eclipse.exe, the workbench
started with all UI parts flipped including the pie chart which is no
longer readable:

Which one is the correct case with BIDI language like Hebrew?  Does
eclipse.exe has to be started with -dir or -nl options on a BIDI system?
If so, should all the graphics be flipped at all?

Your help on this will be very appreciated.

Bianca Xue Jiang
ASQ Testing Product UI Development
IBM SWG Rational Software
20 Maguire Rd (office# 15301), Lexington, MA 02421
Phone: 781-676-7619    T/L: 403-7619    Fax: 781-676-7510