Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

I think you are confusing working sets with (type) filters.  Working sets are most often used to filter your *own* set of resources. For example, if I just want to work with the core GEF projects and maybe a few examples, I'll choose my "core" working set. If I want to see my www project, ISV.doc plug-ins, features, etc., I'll pick that set. Type filters are most often used to filter other people's classes.

So, you are suggesting that the user be able to easily change the granularity of debugging by having quick access to multiple type filter sets. This could also filter the "Open Type" dialog and content assist, but I wouldn't go as far as blocking editors from opening. This sounds cool but I think it's completely separate from working sets.

-Randy

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/10/2005 11:22 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

Its great to see working sets getting more teeth.  Are there any plans to go further and actually scope what user can open/manipulate in a window?  for example, if I use Open Type and open something that comes from outside the current working set, what happens?  Some possibilities

- open it anyway.  Greatly diminishes the usefulness of workingsets since I can never trust that what is in window really belongs

- notify the user that they are going "out of scope" and allow them to do it anyway.  Offer a "dont tell me again" option.  If the user is only offered OK/Cancel, they are bummed because they have to go find/create an evironment where they can open the file.  Perhaps an "Open in new window" or "Open in other window" option could be given?

Note that the open editor case is likely the bulk of htem but it is conceivable that managing elements in a view may have the same issues.  Not sure what to do there.  Perhaps the views just need to be aware and use similar strategies.  Perhaps the code used for limiting editor opening will be sufficiently general to be used in more cases?

On a separate note, not being a UI guy I am a little confused by terminology.  What is the scope of this new setting?  I have seen global, window, and page discussed.  I'm not sure of the relationship between page and perspective.  I work in a world of one perspecitve per window so the distinction is immaterial for me.  Others however will be bummed if they have a debug perspective and a Java perspective in the same window and the Debugger refuses to show information about or open editors for things that are not in the current working set.  Clearly you need to debug outside just about any working set.

Jeff

Michael Van Meekeren/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2005 11:21 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

If Kim does not mind, let me explain...

This mostly addresses bugs:

45212  [WorkingSets] Link the working sets for Projects, Package...

108149         [WorkingSets] Global workingsets

and possibly

15590  [Working Sets] Propagate working set in "Open in new wind...

Basically the user needs to go to many different places to configure working sets (Package Explorer, Problems View, Heirarchy View, Project Menu etc...).  What we are proposing is that there be one place per page (essentially per Window) to choose which working sets one would like to filter on for that page, and have all views use the selected working sets as the current working sets if possible.  This also removes a significant amount of localized clutter regarding menus and tool items for configuring working sets on each view.

/michael

Kimberly Horne <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2005 10:39 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

Yes.  For instance, the package explorer currently has a menu item to
select the visible working sets (when you're in the working set
mode).  With this new API, you could simply show all working sets
that are of the java type and listen for changes so that you can
update your tree appropriately.