Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

On 9-Sep-05, at 11:57 AM, Randy Hudson wrote:

Would it be possible to create a special WorkingSet labeled "Use Workbench Setting", and have that set's elements delegate to whatever is currently selected at the workbench level? Then, all existing consumers of working sets would see this new set and could instantly support the new shared setting. It seems like with the current approach, every working set consumer will have to change to support this new setting. This might also handle the problem of notification, since view's currently update when a working set is modified.

I'll investigate this possibility.  I've entered bug 109174 to track this idea.

> we are proposing is that there be one place per page

I would prefer per workbench. If I open a new perspective in the current window vs. a new window, it should behave the same. Also, it would have the same scope as other preferences such as label decorations.

We have use cases that make sense on the page/window level.  We can force (via preference, described in bug 109143) that all windows have a common set, but we don't want to limit the support by only working at the workbench level.

-Randy

Kimberly Horne <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2005 08:20 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Working sets on a workbench window

Next weeks integration build will introduce the following new API on
IWorkbenchPage:

IWorkingSet[] getWorkingSets();
void setWorkingSets(IWorkingSet[])

The intention of these methods is to allow you to specify what
working sets should be visible across all components within a given
workbench window.  Currently this API is not being used by any
downstream component but we're making it public (and visible) now to
gauge interest.

By visible I am referring to a new action that's been added to the
Resource Navigation action set.

You will see in your toolbar and in your Window menu a pulldown
action called Working Sets.  The children of this action represent
all working sets registered with the system IWorkingSetManager and
are either checked or unchecked.  If they're checked, they're
contained in the array returned by IWorkbenchPage.getWorkingSets().

The notable problems with the implementation as it currently sits are
as follows:
    The "Edit..." action currently opens the "Select Working Set"
dialog despite there being no selection required.  We will replace
this with a more particular editing dialog at some later point.
    The dropdown won't scale when the user has a large number of
working sets.
    The action needs a toolbar icon.
    The action probably doesn't belong in the Resource Navigation
action set.
Please don't log these bugs.  We've already done so :)