Re: [platform-ui-dev] Commit comments

The debug and Ant teams have been using (1) for all of 3.1 and it has worked very well for us.
As Nick indicated we also itemize the files that are changed relating to the bug fix in the final comment of the bug to help with verification and traceability.

Just to pollute the conversation

Darins

Nick Edgar <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/29/2005 01:09 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Commit comments

I'm all for (1).  (2) is OK if necessary, but the  bug report should have
a description of the work done, and the commit comment time and bug
comment time can usually be correlated.

Michael Van Meekeren/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/29/2005 03:56 PM
Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Commit comments

With new support in CVS for changes sets, as well as using things like the
CVS repository history view I find it frustrating to see comments like
"fix for bug 99999" as there might have been 20 bugs fixed last night and
I just want to see the code for a particular one.  I would like to request
that all UI committers use commit comments with meaningful text.  There
are a couple ways to do this, I'm ok with your preferred choice so long as
a bug number is included as well:

1. Exact bug subject

"fix for bug 92203 [Preferences] preferences package needs cleanup"

2. Description of work done if bug subject is not sufficient

"fix for bug 92203 move preferences code to workbench use
ExtensionFactory"

3. No bug number but describe change

"typo in javadoc for MyClass"
"update to use new support for XXX"

I'm open to suggestions but I don't want to start a big discussion, just
some meaningful comments please, that's it.

thanks
platform-ui-dev mailing list
platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx