Re: AW: [platform-ui-dev] RE: UI Status followup

Gunnar,

Good comments, may I suggest you have a look at the link provided below (http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-ui-home/R3_1/dynamic_teams/dynamic_teams.html#preferences) , many of the items you suggest are on our "idea" list.

/michael

"Gunnar Wagenknecht" <G.Wagenknecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/19/2004 12:49 AM

Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

<platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
AW: [platform-ui-dev] RE: UI Status followup

Full ACK.

Currently a lot pages out in the wild are just copy & paste of existing pages. There are a lot similar concepts available (FieldEditors, DialogFields etc.) which should bring a red light flashing. The TabFolders used on a lot pages were just a better way to "group" the preferences. I also like the preferences dialog of Firefox. Advanced/expert settings (like connection settings) are swapped out to a pop up dialog. But the dialogs do have a similar UI.

Having preferences defined in a meta model allows a better mixture of preferences. Someome could easily create a preference dialog showing only the preferences that apply to a specific component which might be a subset of different pages.

Another problem is the "inheritance". A lot components still have their own preferences and even in 3.0 I need to configure multiple preferences just for getting the line numbers correctly displayed in every text editor.

When I saw the "categories" on the top my first thoughts were the following in the given order:
- "images are cool"
- "can I add more/other"
- "editing and development overlap"
- "looks heavy and complicated"

A power feature would probably be a quick search bar. It could perform a quick search through localizable preference lables and preverence descriptions and display the results in the same UI. Complicated settings (like key bindings) should get their own dialogs and a button in the common preference UI. IMHO also the "Apply" button is confusing and blowing up the UI. There are a lot uses which click "Apply" before clicking "OK" (two clicks where one is suitable). They are arguing that preferences arn't apply sometimes if you only click on "OK"...

Anyway we shouldn't be afraid of the migration issue. It's much more simple to define prefrences in the PDE editor if the scheme is set up than coding preference pages. It should be even easier to define dependencies to other preferences (enabled only if auto-building is on).

IMHO it's worth decoupling preferences from their fixed and inflexible preference pages. I'm volunteering in prototyping :)

Cu, Gunnar