[platform-ui-dev] Formatting

Post-3.0, we started formatting the code. This is causing a lot of problems for those of us trying to track bugs through CVS.

The formatting is causing the following problems:

1. It is hard to get patches working between branches.
2. The CVS annotation view has become useless -- it always shows the last person to format the file, not the last person to actually change some line.
3. It is hard to track what was actually changed in a particular checkin, since the formatter causes changes throughout the file.
4. It is very hard to compare revisions.

From what I can tell, the only benefit of the formatter is:

1. Some people find it prettier

The code in the UI plugins was consistent and well formatted to begin with and the UI team has been doing a good job observing the coding conventions. The rare deviations from the coding conventions do not justify the problems being caused by the formatter. The formatter can be used if we find individual horribly formatted files -- the problem here is being caused by widespread automated formatting of the codebase.

Until the CVS/JDT guys offer a feature to "only format what has changed anyway since the last checkin", I would strongly recommend that we stop using the formatter.

  - Stefan

Back to the top