[platform-ui-dev] Re: instrumentation framework

The framework itself displays the dialogs for notification and permission. Individual instrumentations can control the wording of these dialogs, what gets sent in each report and where the reports are sent... but they cannot circumvent notifying the user without fighting the framework.

  - Stefan

Scott's original message:

Regarding the Eclipse Instrumentation Framework...
=20
I would *strongly* recommend some wording in the documentation urging =
any
developers that use this framework to make it very clear to the user =
what is
being sent. Many folks dislike programs like this, as they can be =
considered
"spyware".
=20
I don't think there's any way that you can force developers to notify =
the
user, but the docs should have some strong wording about being up front =
with
its usage.
=20
I'd hate to see Eclipse start showing up on spyware lists on the net...
=20
Later,
-- Scott

Back to the top