Re: [platform-ui-dev] Scope of working sets and other View settings

Please enter separate feature requests for these in Bugzilla.

Randy Hudson <hudsonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/21/2003 04:43 PM
Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Scope of working sets and other View settings

I have some usablity comments which stem from using Eclipse for a long
time with the "Open each perspective in a new window" (and also F4 opens
perspective) options enabled.

When I change working sets in a view, such as packages view, I find it
frustrating to have to then do that again in the navigator, and then again
in the Synchronize View.  Often, when I change working sets, I want it to
affect all views.  On a related subject, when I modify the Problems View
filter to show me my "XYZ" warnings, I have to do this for each workbench
window in which that view is present.

So, I'm describing 2 different issues.  First, I want two different types
of views to share a common setting: the active working set.  Maybe other
settings could be shared too.  Alternatively, a new working set choice
called "use workspace setting" could be added, and the workspace setting
is displayed on the toolbar/menubar.

Second, I want two instances of the same view to share a single
"settings".  There are currently several bugs (of the type "last one to
save state wins") because of the fact that each view instance has its own
settings.  I don't see how any persisted settings can be instance-based.
How would you know which instance has the settings I want used when I open
a new workbench window containing that View?

Depending on how you work in Eclipse, you perceive a different behavior.
If you stack all of your perspectives in a single workbench window (and it
would seem that most common), it feels like the settings are global
because only one instance of each View is ever opened.  But, if you open
each perspective in a new window, you get multiple view instances with
separate settings, and the bugs mentioned above.  The Search View is an
example of a view which is better behaved across instances.

Any thoughts?  Do products based on Eclipse have similar problems?  Thanks

-randy

Back to the top