Re: [platform-ui-dev] Template support

Nick Edgar wrote:
>By (1) I assume that the template engine can generate templates for
>arbitrary files, not just workspace resources.  If not, please clarify.
>This would be a key requirement for template support in Platform UI since,
>as part of the refactoring for the Rich Client Platform, we want the
>central "Workbench proper" to avoid any dependencies on
>org.eclipse.core.resources.  The template engine should do the same, to
>allow applications other than those centered around the workspace to use
>templates.

When template is installed, it may be used to generate:
1) projects in workspace - using standard Eclipse wizards and
New>Project menu
2) project resources (file, folder) in workspace - using standard Eclipse
wizards and
New>Other menu
3) everything else if using proprietary UI. actually, template internally
implements a factory. This factory can be arbitrary nature. For example,
it can be a template for some database. Also the case is the template
for less-than-file thing, for example, template for some portion of
a file, e.g. template for Java function.

>By (2) I assume that the template engine can generate multiple
>pre-populated projects from a template, and/or generate individual
>folders/files across projects.  If not, please clarify.  Although the
>Workspace does not have the concept of a "solution", this seems like a
>reasonable feature to support.  It would be good to list some of the
>concrete use cases that justify this.

Template for solution generates multiple projects. Each project is
generated from own template. A solution is a collection of projects
associated by common use. For example, a solution may contain Java project,
project for database and project for Web UI. Togerther these projects
consitutes complete business application.
Solution template creates all these projects and associations between them.

If it is interesting as spearate feature, worth sharing idea
on supporting "solutions" in eclipse 3.0. We have a feature supporting them.

>Nick
>Eclipse Platform UI Team Lead

Back to the top