Re: [platform-ui-dev] Voting: Inconsistent Perspective Opening

A1: I don't know.  Is one page with input == null equivalent to another
page with input == null ?  What does it mean to define a page with input
== null?  What does it mean to define a page with input = workspace, but
then open up the repositories view, which shows a group of repositories not
in the workspace?  I do not know the answer to these questions, but for
safety, I would suggest that null != null, and we should open a new page.

A2: The default setting will be discussed in another proposal.

                    Karice_McIntyre@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                       To:     platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-ui-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                     Subject:     Re: [platform-ui-dev] Voting:
                                                   Inconsistent Perspective Opening

                    12/12/01 09:53 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-ui-dev

+1

Couple of questions:
*what happens if the input that is passed in is null (where will the page
be displayed, will it be displayed at all)?  When would null ever be passed
in as a parameter?
*will the default setting for opening perspectives remain as it was (open
in same window)?

                    David_Springgay@xxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                       To:
platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-ui-dev-admin@e        cc:

                    clipse.org                     Subject:
[platform-ui-dev] Voting: Inconsistent Perspective Opening

                    12/11/2001 04:10 PM

                    Please respond to

                    platform-ui-dev

Inconsistent Perspective Opening

The Loss of Context Proposal has been split up so we can move forward on
individual issues.  This section concerns the Inconsistent Perspective Open
issues (Problem #13).  We would like to vote on the direction of this
proposal.  If agreement can be reached, we will progress with the
implementation and address PR's as they come up.

In Eclipse, it is possible to open a perspective as a page in the current
window, or as a page in a new window.  The appropriate choice is determined
by user preference.  Unfortunately, many plugins ignore this preference,
and do it their own way, leading to inconsistencies in the UI.

To resolve this issue we will add an openPage method to the IWorkbench
interface.  When called, this method will examine the user preference, and
open the page in the correct mode.  The old methods will be deprecated.
Here is the prototype API.

/**
 * Creates and opens a new workbench page.  If the user preference for
 * "Open Perspective" is "in current window", the page will be created in
 * the current window.  Otherwise, it will be created in a new window.
 * The perspective of the new page is the default perspective.
 * On return, the new window and new page be active.
 *
 * @param input the page input, or <code>null</code> if there is no current
input.
 *  This is used to seed the input for the new page's views.
 * @return the new workbench page
 * @exception WorkbenchException if a new page could not be opened
 */
public IWorkbenchPage openPage(final IAdaptable input)
 throws WorkbenchException;

/**
 * Creates and opens a new workbench page.
 * [ snip ]
 * </p>
 * @param perspectiveId the perspective id for the window's initial page
 * @param input the page input, or <code>null</code> if there is no current
input.
 *  This is used to seed the input for the new page's views.
 * @return the new workbench page
 * @exception WorkbenchException if a new page could not be opened
 */
public IWorkbenchPage openPage(final String perspID, final IAdaptable
input)
 throws WorkbenchException;

Voting:

     +1 = You are in favour of this proposal & agree with further
exploration to determine API/contribution
     changes.
     0 = Abstain
     -1 = You are opposed to this proposal. When voting -1 you must also
provide a detailed explanation of your
     reasons.

Voting ends 1 week from date proposal is submitted to the mailing list.