Re: [platform-text-dev] Vote: Move Platform Text into Platform UI

Hi Markus,

thanks for sharing your perspective but I disagree with yours statements.

Most of the commits done in platform.ui have been code cleanup,
internal code updates or fixes of broken features. Take the "Customize
Perspective Dialog" as an example which was broken for several years.
The other big work item (which is still WIP), was the enablement of
part of the tests in the Gerrit build trigger, which also has improved
stability.

>From my personal experience I think Eclipse 4.2 was broken to a point
in which it was not usable, fortunately this has lead to a new team to
pick up these challenges. AFAIK stability and performance of platform
UI has significantly improved in the last years with the help of all
involved parties, including you and AFAIK the majority of the users of
the IDE report that 4.5 is way better than 4.2 (which followed the old
programming model you described).

Also the targets for Eclipse 4.6 reflect this IMHO, please see
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/Plan/4.6 for details.

It is true that we in platform ui also pay attention to features that
are important for users. But I think that is a good thing.

And if you change things, sometimes things break. The only way to
avoid this, is not do nothing or only very little and this attitude
has lead in the past to the impression that Eclipse is a dead project.

Best regards, Lars