Re: [platform-swt-dev] Browser WEBKIT style

Hi Christopher,

The cross-platform API exposed by WebKit is much more core than the one from Gecko, so each platform requires its own WebKit port (basically a layer)  that bridges the gap between this core functionality and embedding apps like SWT.  There isn't a cross-platform WebKit api that would actually be useful to expose to SWT clients, so consequently there isn't something comparable to JavaXPCOM available.  As an example of this cross-platform difference, SWT has a completely different implementation of WebKit.java for each supported window system, whereas its Mozilla.java class is shared across them.

Chrome also uses WebKit, but it implements its own port on top which is different from the win32 port provided by Apple (even when running on Windows).  So SWT's Browser implementation cannot embed WebKit from a Chrome installation.  To do so would require Chrome's WebKit port to commit to providing a stable API for embedders, and SWT would then have to do another implementation from scratch.  This work is not currently planned.

Thanks for pointing out the redundant FAQ entries, I'll merge them shortly.

Grant

Christopher Deckers <chrriis@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-swt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/29/2011 05:22 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list."        <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform SWT component developers list." <platform-swt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-swt-dev] Browser WEBKIT style

Hi guys,

Now that there is the WEBKIT Browser style, are there any plans to
have a WebKit API similar to the MOZILLA style XPCOM API?

Also, the SWT FAQ states: "How do I explicitly use WebKit as the
Browser's underlying renderer? Windows: Safari must be installed".
I thought Chrome was also using Webkit. Isn't it possible to use it
when Chrome is installed? Any plans for that support if it is not the
case?

By-the-way, this is completely unrelated but I noticed the FAQ had 2
similar entries, which could probably be merged:

Why are some events like Selection not fired in response to
programmatic widget changes?
http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#noeventfire

Why doesn't a widget send events when I change it programmatically?
http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#noevents

Cheers,
-Christopher