[platform-releng-dev] Lining up with other native builds

Dear all,

In the context of the ECF project, effort has begun to introduce native IPC support to Java. There is some introduction available on the wiki: http://wiki.eclipse.org/IPC

This is a continuation of the work already done by Clark Hobbie, who started out with a Windows and a Linux implementation. His work is called CLIPC and you can find the original project here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clipc/

I've proposed Clark to continue his work under the Eclipse umbrella, because: (1) this community has experience in building additional components for different native platforms (SWT, Equinox Launcher) (2) a strong community can increase exposure and applications of this library (and staying power)
   (3) increase the amount of supported platforms
(and he agreed ;)

Although this a very special-purpose library, it has potential to further improve desktop and o/s integration for the Eclipse IDE.

I'd like to solicit for specifications regarding the way we should organize the project, in order to fit in an official Eclipse build, in the long run.

The aim is to support all native platforms, supported.

Where can I learn about the way these native builds are done, and who should we touch base with?

Best regards,
Dann

Back to the top