Re: [platform-releng-dev] Releng Tools changed in Build I20050208-0800

An alternative is to create a feature for the releng tool, and have eclipse be set  to automatically search for updates, on startup, once a day, etc. Or we can kick off an update process every once in a while.
There is still the initial overhead of setting this up, but once in place, there shouldn't be too much effort to update.

-Dorian

Michael Valenta/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/14/2005 11:58 AM

Please respond to
platform-releng-dev

platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-releng-dev] Releng Tools changed in Build I20050208-0800

I have a couple of arguments against this:

1) We don't do that for any other plugins we release to the build. Why should this one be different? Truth be told, I don't mind doing this but being a manual process there is always a chance I would forget. In talking with Sonia, this would require support in the build scripts as well (i.e. the version number of the plugin is currently hard coded). If that build scripts are updated to handle this, I will gladly update the version number every time I release the plugin but...

2) This doesn't solve the main problem. I will still need to announce when the plugin changes since there is no other way to notify people that it has changed. As I said, I will gladly update the version number of the plugin when and if the build Team add support for this to the build script . But this really won't change anything since I don't expect people will look every build to see if the version of the RelEng tool changed. If anyone has ideas on how to overcome this issue, I would be happy to hear them.

Michael

Douglas Pollock <douglas.pollock@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

14/02/2005 11:43 AM

On Tuesday February 8 2005 10:03 am, Michael Valenta wrote:
> There have been changes in CVS and the Releng Tool in todays integration
> build. Anyone using this tool to release to the build will need to get the
> latest version available from the bottom of the builds download page when
> they get todays integration build.

Could you guys please start updating the version number for this ZIP file when
you make changes?  It makes it hard to tell: (1) which version I have on
disk; and (2) which version is supposed to go with which integration build.

thanks,
d.