Re: [platform-dev] Status field on GitHub issues

Hi Jens,

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up labels ;-). I'm not a platform committer, but I've spent the last couple of years developing stuff on GitHub, so I'l chime in...

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jens Lideström" <jens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 28/04/2022 21:53:19
Subject: [platform-dev] Status field on GitHub issues

I suggest this: All Eclipse projects on GitHub should have labels for the most important status values that exist in Bugzilla.
Meta-nitpick: if you're suggesting this for all projects (not just platform), this discussion should be on eclipse-dev, not platform-dev, I believe.

Maybe the following status values should exist:

new
ongoing
blocked
duplicate
worksforme
invalid
fixed

It would be preferable if one of the status labels would be mandatory for a issue to be closed, but I don't know if GitHub has functionality for that.

Bugzilla status values: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/page.cgi?id=fields.html#bug_status

Labels for an organisation in GitHub: https://docs.github.com/en/organizations/managing-organization-settings/managing-default-labels-for-repositories-in-your-organization

Others have pointed out that there are alternatives for signaling those states in GitHub. I would be interested in knowing how you would use those labels, i.e. which of your daily tasks would be enabled by those labels?

On a more general level, one of the reasons for moving to GitHub was to be more accessible to new contributors. Having a work flow that is not GitHub-like would counteract that goal to some extent.

cheers, Thomas

Back to the top