Re: [platform-dev] Status field on GitHub issues

new -> is:open no:assignee
ongoing -> is:open assignee:*
blocked -> anyone really filtering for that?
duplicate -> [1]
worksforme -> simply close it with a comment
invalid  -> simply close it with a comment
fixed  -> [2] then is:closed linked:pr

This is a perfect illustration of why I think it is a good idea to use labels for the status of issues!

In the above system you have to use information from multiple places, including the comments, plus some inference to deduce the status of an issue. I also strongly suspect that in practice many cases will not be so clear cut and it will be hard to make this deduction.

The status in Bugzilla is EXPLICIT, IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE and has STANDARDIZED VALUES. That's what makes it more useful and convenient than the system above.

I still suggest adding those labels on the organisation level. I think that will make all our lives a little easier. Projects that don't want to use them can disable the default labels.

blocked -> anyone really filtering for that?

The status is not only about filtering. It is also about being able to immediately see the status of an issue when you open it up.

BR,
Jens Lideström

When browsing issues on GitHub I have often been confused about their
status.

new -> is:open no:assignee
ongoing -> is:open assignee:*
blocked -> anyone really filtering for that?
duplicate -> [1]
worksforme -> simply close it with a comment
invalid  -> simply close it with a comment
fixed  -> [2] then is:closed linked:pr

There is much more to discover:

https://docs.github.com/en/search-github/searching-on-github/searching-issues-and-pull-requests

[1] https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/marking-issues-or-pull-requests-as-a-duplicate