Re: [platform-dev] Intended Bug-Tracker for Platform-projects hosted on GitHub

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 9:25 AM Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that we do have the following repo already, so I'm doubtful we need yet another one in order to have a "central" one.

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/issues

I would have hoped that a decision or strategy for how to "make it easy for users to report problems" would be a no brainer, rather than devolving immediately into "no one wants to triage them anyway so let the user learn which of the following 31 repositories might be the best place to report a problem for the Eclipse SDK product":

That list of course gets bigger when we consider the number of projects and corresponding repos involved in any one of the EPP packages and of course to many people if not most people, all these things are the Eclipse IDE...

Now, that's the first very constructive message in this thread! Thanks for that, Ed!

I Googled and saw this:

https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/pinning-an-issue-to-your-repository

So if we're concerned about people opening an issue in the wrong repo we could pin an issue with a message "when in doubt open an issue [here](link-to-where) instead".

We make use of pinned issues for Github migration already and it comes quite handy https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.releng.aggregator/issues .

We should be able to do something helpful on this "home page", right?

https://github.com/eclipse-platform

These folks have some "banner text on their "home page":

https://github.com/adoptium/

They also have "pinned" repos.   But I've not figured out where that comes from...

Looks good. I'll look into pinning repos too.

In any case, we could do something more helpful too I think...

For example, this also has a banner:

https://github.com/cucumber

It links to this:

https://cucumber.io/tools/cucumber-open/

Where you can follow to this:

https://cucumber.io/tools/cucumber-open/support/

Which leads here:

https://cucumber.io/tools/cucumber-open/support/#issues

And here they have helpful advice to the user.

I think that no matter what we decide is best, we will want something like the above to guide the user so that they find the information they need to learn what to do with respect to bug reporting...

There is definitely room for improvement . IMHO Lars and your combined efforts will move things in the right direction.

Regards,
Ed