Re: [platform-dev] Intended Bug-Tracker for Platform-projects hosted on GitHub

Op za 26 mrt. 2022 om 12:22 schreef Hannes Wellmann <wellmann.hannes1@xxxxxxx>:
It is possible to move issues between repositories on GitHub, see [1], and it is also possible to link issues in other repositories by mentioning them.

Although it is simpler for those that handle bugs to assign them to the correct repository directly, I agree that it can be difficult to find out which one the correct repo is, especially if one is not deeply involved into Eclipse development.
To help those people maybe it would be useful to create a repo at https://github.com/eclipse/ide (or similar) that is de-facto empty and where users can report bugs for which they don't know the responsible project/repository for. The bugs could then be transferred to the correct repo by committers that can identify the responsible repository.

But I assume there is definitely the risk that managing such a common bug-tracker becomes quite a great task that consumes too many resources. So bug reports should be encouraged to only use it as last resort and there should be good documentation/guidelines for reporters to find the appropriated repo by them self.

Practically there is such a tracker in Bugzilla, Platform IDE gets the majority of bugs that users don't know where they should go. From the user perspective they are just using the Eclipse IDE and it makes perfect sense to report it here.

However, there is no focus on these bugs from the eclipse committers. If every committer was monitoring those issues, it would talk on average less than 5 minutes a day to move issues to the right project. Although it becomes harder to move issues around, as many projects are on the move, and some of the projects are really hard to track where they moved to.

Users should not be discouraged to report bugs and leak of resources for bug triage should never be an argument to discourage writing bug reports.

Gesendet: Samstag, 26. März 2022 um 11:07 Uhr
Von: "Dirk Steinkamp" <Dirk.Steinkamp@xxxxxx>
An: "Eclipse platform general developers list." <platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [platform-dev] Intended Bug-Tracker for Platform-projects hosted on GitHub

Speaking from someone who only recently made a first contribution to Eclipse, but has been using Eclipse for years and occasionally reported issues, I have to say that already the many existing project are simply confusing to pick from when a user simply wants to report something. The bugzilla seems to have the option to later (re)assign it to the correct subproject.

This doesn't get better with all the different eclipse-subprojects hosting their own github-projects with separate issue trackers, as you can't move issues from one github-project to the other, right? It's also lacking an integrated overview of issues that might be related, but affect different subprojects.

So I'd favour something that can provide overarching, integrating capabilities - be it bugzilla, or something else.

Dirk