Re: [platform-dev] Vote to stop bug auto-closing in all Eclipse platform projects

Comment below.

On 22.02.2022 09:27, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

On 22 Feb 2022, at 10:42, Karsten Thoms <karsten.thoms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... but that’s just reality due to lack of resources.
According to the Annual Eclipse Foundation Community Report, in 2021 the Foundation burnt 7.6 M$, so I would not blame the lack of resources.
Probably the word "burnt" is not really the best choice of words.

The question is how many of the 7.6 went to developers maintaining the Eclipse platform.
Funding development on one or more of the hundreds of projects hosted at Eclipse is not the role of the Foundation.  The Eclipse IDE Working Group is looking to do some targeted development work on some aspects of the Platform via its much more limited budget.  Its budget has also helped develop the improvements to mature PGP signing implementation in p2.

And generally how to find a solution to fix the bugs, not whether to auto-close them or not.

More people and organizations who consume things for free need to contribute more time and/or more money.  Eventually the free ride might come to an end...

I only raise this issue because I maintain lists and I manage what's in those lists, within my own personal resource capacity. I don't want a robot to remove things from my lists.  How others manage other parts is up to them.  But if more people spent a few hours a month looking at lists, that would sure help a lot.  If we don't plan to fix something ever, let's close it immediately not after 2 years...

Regards,

Liviu