Re: [platform-dev] Has the time come?

No offense taken Wim, no worries.

It's not a rule, it's just the way it works. The publishing process only looks at repo hosted at git.eclipse.org/c/www.eclipse.org for several reasons, IIRC:
* Use direct file system access to poll for changes (/gitroot/www.eclipse.org/xxxx.git)
* Use direct mapping between the name of the repo and the url it is published to (repo /gitroot/www.eclipse.org/xxxx.git => publish to https://www.eclipse.org/xxxx).

Hence the workaround.

Mikaël Barbero
Manager — Release Engineering and Technology | Eclipse Foundation
🐦 @mikbarbero

On 16 Mar 2021, at 19:05, Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mikael, I did not mean to lecture you (after reading my reply again 🙏).

It's funny, really; we have this hosting rule, but also a trick how to circumvent it 😉

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 4:57 PM Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a quick note that content served by https://www.eclipse.org/ (and as such https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/) must currently be hosted on a git repository hosted at https://git.eclipse.org/c/www.eclipse.org. That's how it works

Git is a blokchain secured source repo. It does not matter where it is hosted.

> Some projects (openj9) worked around that by having the site code hosted at github and a job on their jenkins at ci.eclipse.org that push all commits from github to git.eclipse.org/c/www.eclipse.org repository.

How does this not break the "must be hosted on git.eclipse.org" rule?

Cheers, Wim