Re: [platform-dev] Unit test fragment

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:18 PM Karsten Thoms <karsten.thoms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear all,

As discussed in yesterday’s SDK meetup I would like to see some real unit tests for platform related internals. Many non-trivial functionality is buried in private methods and are hard to test just from API. In order to add tests on a more fine grained level when solving bugs I would like to see that such methods are opened up to package private. This would allow us to provide test cases in the same package as the class under test. However, this would require that the project hosting the tests is a fragment.

Matthias Becker pointed me to project org.eclipse.tests.urischeme that is such an example. I would see something similar for tests of UI classes. Something like org.eclipse.ui.tests, but as a fragment for plain unit tests. I could imagine a fragment „org.eclipse.ui.unittests“. Would this be feasible? If this would be in general OK then I would open a bug to track this and provide an example.

It would be nice to have one test fragment per bundle not one bundle and one fragment as it would complicate even more the fragile system we have for tests in nightly builds. So converting existing bundles to fragments sounds better option to me.

~Karsten